Signs and Effects of Marijuana Use
- Increase in appetite
- Slowed thinking and reaction time
- Anxiety and paranoia
- Impaired coordination
- Respiratory problems
- Red, dilated eyes
- Memory and learning difficulties
- Increased heart rate
Physical Warning Signs of Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse
- Bloodshot eyes or pupils that are larger or smaller than usual.
- Changes in appetite or sleep patterns. Sudden weight loss or weight gain.
- Deterioration of physical appearance and personal grooming habits.
- Unusual smells on breath, body, or clothing.
- Tremors, slurred speech, or impaired coordination.
Behavioral Warning Signs of Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse
- Drop in attendance and performance at work or school.
- Unexplained need for money or financial problems. May borrow or steal to get it.
- Engaging in secretive or suspicious behaviors.
- Sudden change in friends, favorite hangouts, and hobbies.
- Frequently getting into trouble (fights, accidents, illegal activities).
Psychological Warning Signs of Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse
- Unexplained change in personality or attitude.
- Sudden mood swings, irritability, or angry outbursts.
- Periods of unusual hyperactivity, agitation, or giddiness.
- Lack of motivation; appears lethargic or “spaced out.”
- Appears fearful, anxious, or paranoid, with no reason.
If you need assistance with alcohol or other drug use/abuse contact the Center for Prevention and Outreach at (631) 632-2748